Mr Glasper, one of the many Ferrymen to row this boat.
Mr Glasper, one of the many Ferrymen to row this boat.
Place NameDescriptionPhotograph - ThenPhotograph - Now
Jolly Potter - Ford Villa
At one time the home of the Wigham family. When they moved out it was used by some of the Paper Mill managers. Eventually, it was bought by Vaux Breweries who turned it into The Jolly Potter as it still is today. This Jolly Potter replaced the original one in Low Row, down on the riverside.
Lance Defty’s ShopLance Defty’s high-class ladies fashion shop. Lance also had another fashion shop in Holmeside, in Sunderland.
Paper Mill (The)The original paper mill was built in 1836 & opened on August 28th, 1838. After a damaging fire, a new mill was built and this was closed in 1971, after 133 years of paper making. The plant was famous for making paper out of Esparto Grass, a process pioneered by Thomas Routledge, who became owner in 1864.
Paper Mill - Claxheugh CottageOwned by the Paper Mill. It was know as the “Chauffeurs Cottage”. On the corner of Claxheugh Road and Keelman's Road. It was occupied by Mr & Mrs Young, Mr Young being the chauffeur to the mill manager. It would probably have been demolished when the paper mill was demolished in 1971.
Police StationThe first mention of No 44 Cambria Street being a Police House was in the 1881 when Sergeant William B. Smith was in charge. This photograph taken in 1938 when Sergeant Pedder was in charge. It had two cells, and to date they are still there, although used for different reasons.
Primitive Methodist ChapelThe land the Primitive Methodist Church rebuilt their chapel on in 1880, was bought from W. H. Jolly (of the Jolly buses) for £76.00. In 1908 the schoolroom was added. Sadly, in August of 2000 the last worship took place.
Primrose StreetThese is little to be said about Primrose Street. Although this photograph was taken in the 1930’s, little of the street has changed.
Quarry (The)The earliest mention of the quarry was in the 1930’s. Magnesium Limestone was quarried here, some of which found its way to the Washington Chemical Works, who owned the quarry at one time. Production at the quarry ceased in 1980.
Railway Inn(Now called The Hylton). First mentioned in 1856 when William Wakefield was the publican. This photograph looks to have been taken in the early 1940’s, just before electricity came into the village. Just above the name is the wording “Good Stabling and Accommodation for Cyclists”
Railway Terrace/Cambria StreetTaken sometime in the early 1900’s. On the opposite end is the Kraal. Over the years it has been used for a variety of trades including a ladies dress shop and a number of fruit shops. When the “now” photograph was taken in 2006, it was a food shop shop.



Railway Underpass, top of Keelman’s Lane
The railway bridge at the top of Keelman’s Road. It carried the railway lines to and from Sunderland from the 1850’s till 1964. When it was decided to extend the Metro to South Hylton in early 2000, it was demolished and replaced with the present underpass.
SunnisideThe original photograph was taken in the early 1910’s. The bottom building is that of the first Post Office in the village and run by Mr A. Gowens. These buildings were erected in 1857. By 1969 the Post Office had shut and moved to its present site. The Post Office was used as a filling station by W. Spoors.
Saint Mary’s ChurchHylton Lodge as it was originally called & given over by Vice-Admiral Maling and altered to be used as a church. In 1817 was licensed as a “Chapel of Ease” & dedicated to St. Mary The Virgin. After a fire in 1878 the present church was built and was consecrated in June 1880. The bell tower was added in May 1930.
Sep Collins ShopMany of the early 1900’s photographs the Society holds are the result of Sep Collins. Besides being the village barber, “Sep” was an amateur photographer. Lamed as a young man whilst working at one of the forges, still managed to carry his heavy photographic equipment. He dies in 1925 aged 47 of pneumonia.
Ford OvalThe photograph on the left was taken in 2003. King Edward Road led to Ford Oval. In 2005, Sunderland Housing Group demolished Ford Oval and built a selection of houses for rent or buy. It is now called “South Hylton Green”.
Wesleyan ChapelOpened in 1866 in Vicarage Lane. In 1890 the schoolroom was added and was last used for worship in 1961. It was finally demolished in 1984.