Claxheugh Grove: the Paper Mill Managers house.
Claxheugh Grove: the Paper Mill Managers house.
Place NameDescriptionPhotograph - ThenPhotograph - Now
Cambria ArmsIn Railway Terrace. At one time called “The Cambria” and referred to as a “Beer House”. In 1867, Matthew Bell was recorded as beer-house keeper in Railway Terrace. In 1881 Wm. Goodfellow was at 4 Railway Terrace, later given as Cambria House. Original Photograph taken circa early 1930.
Chain FerryThe earliest reference to the ferry was 1322. The Chain Ferry ceased in 1915 although the passenger ferry continued until 1955. The last ferryman was Charlie Darby. This photograph was taken by Sep Collins who owned the barbers shop. Now, there is nothing to show of the riverside activity.
The Co-opThe “Sunderland Equitable Industrial Society”. Like many of the Co-op shops, it had three departments. Fruit & Vegetable, Drapery and Provisions. Again, like many of the Co-op shops, it was closed and currently house 2 ladies hairdressers and a pizza shop.
Ferry LandingThe south side ferry landing. This photograph would have been taken over 70 years ago. The ferry landing was in front of the the Golden Lion.
Field HouseAwaiting confirmation of information.
Fire StationCambria Street was the site of the fire station. It was demolished in the 1970’s to make way for the present Primary School. Behind the fire station was the mortuary. In the early days, when the fire engine was horse draw, it was said that they use to have trouble catching the horse.
Ford Council SchoolThe original Ford Council School, built in Albion Street in the 1870’s and was to accommodate 500 scholars. It was originally know as the “Ford Board School” then Ford County School. The first Headmaster was Mr Joseph Bentley.
Ford LodgeSome of the many occupants were the Gales Shipbuilding family in the early to middle 1800’s. Then Dr. Handysides had it as the village surgery and latterly, it was used as a care home. Sadly, it is now ready for demolition, and to be re-developed with luxury flats built in its place.
Ford TerraceOriginally thought to have been taken in the 1930’s. Since the Society was given the original, we have been able to date it to 1954 and it was shortly after this date that they were demolished. In the early 1970’s, the Community Centre was built as a temporary building. In 2007 this will be replaced with a new facility.
Gas HouseVery little is known about this house. It was owned by the South Hylton Gaslight & Coke Company who was bought by the Sunderland Gas Company in the 1920’s. Shortly afterwards it was demolished.
Golden Lion InnThe Golden Lion Inn, Ferryboat Row, was first mentioned in 1856 when Ralph Lister was the publican. The present building was erected on the same site around 1910. In 1978 it was given a grade II listing.
Hylton BankThis photograph of Hylton Bank from just above the Station was taken in the early 1900’s. The building on the skyline, in the centre, is that of High Ford Farm which had been there a lot longer than when this photograph was taken.