Meditteranio was for an Austrian firm and had a speed of over 10.5 knots.
Miramar was for Raeburn and Verel of Glasgow.
Hindustan for J. W. Squance & Co., of Sunderland; she had a cellular double bottom for water ballast and spare berths for passengers. They were all fitted with Dickinson tri-compound engines.
On February 18th 1849 a ship was destroyed by fire at Hylton Carr's shipyard, the workshops were also destroyed with damage estimated to be in excess of £2000. a great deal of money in those days, but, as you will see from the following lists, he was still in business in 1867.
Lists of Hylton Builders between 1834 and 1869.
1834 Edward Brown, Robert Reay, John Mowbray Gales.
1841 Rodham Joshua and Joseph, Wm Naisby, Wm. Carr, John Haswell, Geo. Bartram, Blake Stafford.
1847 Hylton Carr (lived in Union Street, South Hylton), Wm. Carr, John Mowbray Gales, Lawson Gales, Thomas Gales, Wm. Naizby, John Rodham, Joseph Rodham, John Rogerson, Wm. Spower & Co.
1856 Wm. Briggs & Co., George Bartram, Todd & Brown (Carr Brown lived in Ferryboat Row), Hylton Carr, Forrest & Jackson, Gales, Hodgson & Gordon, Lightfoot, John Lester, Wm. Naizby, Robert Reay, J. & J. Robinson, J. & T. Robson, Thomas Seymour, John Rogerson, George Short, Sykes, Talbot & Co., and Wm. Taylor.
1863 Sykes, Talbot & Sykes, M. Chilton, Lawrence Wheatley, John Rodgerson, Wm. Richardson, George Bartram, Gray and Young, Gibbon & Nichol, Todd & Brown, John Lister, John Gibbon & Sons, Reay & Naisby, Benjamin Hodgson, Wm. Naizby, Liddle & Sutcliffe, Robson & Proudfoot.
1864 George & Robert Bartram, Hylton Carr, 3, Union Street; Wilson Chilton, lived at 50, Brougham Street, Sunderland; Forrest & Jackson, Low Ford; Gibbon & Nichol, John Lister, George Naisby, Wm. Naizby, Reay & Naisby, Thos. Robson, Claxheugh; John Rodgerson, George Short, Mowbray Quay; Sykes, Talbot & Sykes.
1867 Bartram (George & Robert), Hylton Carr, Gibbon & Nichol, John Lister, Wm. Naizby, Short Brothers, Lawrence Wheatley.
1869 Liddle & Sutcliffe, Gibbon & Nichol, J. & J. Gibbon, Spours & Co., Chilton & Co., Benjamin Hodgson, John Lister, Lawrence Wheatley, Reay & Naisby, Wm. Richardson, Bartram & Sykes, Talbot & Sykes.
From these lists it appears that the peak of activity came between 1856 and 1863. It is impossible now to know the location of all the yards but the following were on the north side:- Briggs, Todd & Brown, Hylton Carr, Hodgson & Gordon, Lester, Reay, Seymour, Sykes, Talbot & Co., Taylor, Wheatley, Richardson, Grey & Young, John Gibbons & Sons, Benjamin Hodgson, Liddle and Sutcliffe, Chilton and J. J. Gibbon. Lightfoot built at Low Ford Dockyard at the bottom of Hylton Dene below Dawson’s Pottery. Naizby was at High Ford Dockyard just east of the ferry, the site later occupied by John Wigham & Sons Ltd. This site was occupied in 1863 by Reay & Naisby (note the changed spelling of Naisby). Robson & Proudfoot were at Claxheugh. The famous Sunderland Shipbuilder Wm. Pile, served his apprenticeship with Thomas John Lightfoot in Hylton Dene. Shorts were at Mowbray Quay east of Claxheugh Farm.
In the 1841 census there were 7 shipbuilders, 58 shipwright's and 29 apprentice shipwright’s registered in the village. The many shipwright's of Hylton built themselves a Shipwrights Hall. in Church Street in 1856. This building later served in the 1920's as Hylton's one and only cinema. It later became a Billiards Hall and was finally demolished after the last war.
Before leaving shipbuilding it is interesting to compare the ships being built at Hylton of around 180 tons at the beginning of the last century with the largest ship built in Sunderland at that time. She was the Lord Duncan built at Southwick by a local man Thomas Havelock of Ford Hall. She was launched on the 2nd March, 1798 and was 143 ft. 10 ins, long, and 39 feet broad, with a tonnage of 925 tons, five times as big as the average Hylton ship.
Source: T.F. Hunter
“A History of South Hylton - The Growth of an Industrial Village