The Saw Mill and Rivet works were being run in 1865 by John & Lancelot Brown.
By 1873 Brown’s were running the Rivet Works and T. Nicholson the mills. John Brown lived at Hylton House. The remains of these works can be seen on the riverside below the Gas House Field. There still exist some steps down the bank-side at the foot of Wear Street which are called the Saw Mill Steps. At the east end of this site there is evidence of a small dockyard from which in more recent times a ferry took men to work at Osborne Graham’s shipyard. Edward Henderson, 13, Railway Terrace, was operating a slipway here in the early decade of this century. He is last recorded 1911-12.