Year built: 1893
Formerly known as the “Christian Lay Church”, the Independent
Methodists first worshipped in South Hylton at number 10 Dawson Terrace and then in the Shipwright’s Hall before moving into the present premises in 1893. The first foundation stone was laid on May 13th 1893. It was on August 23rd of that same year when the church was officially opened and dedicated for worship.
September 1913 was another milestone with the erection of a schoolroom began.
The builders of the School Room in 1923 were:
Back row left to right: William Poole (Snr), Reynolds Allen and
William Poole (Jnr).
Middle row: George Bainbridge.
Front row left to right: Ralph Bainbridge, Tom Bainbridge, Mr.
Pickersgill and Edmund Bainbridge.