The Cement Works was erected in 1866-7 by Peverall & Harwood.
Cement was one of the major industries of the Wear at the beginning of the 19th. century. The chief works were at Pallion where there were 15 kilns burning annually, 30,000 tons of limestone affording 10,000 cauldrons of lime. A cauldron equalled roughly 121 cu. ft. or three marine tons. The limestone for the Hylton Cement Works may have come from the old quarry alongside the Keelman’s Lonnen between Hylton Road and the railway line.
There are no official output figures for the Hylton Cement Works. These works were offered for sale by public auction on 18th March 1898, as a going concern, comprising Wash Mill House with two Wash mills, Grinding House with three edge runner mills, adequate engine and boiler house, 5 drying flats with ovens. 10 kilns and 5 reservoirs, extensive warehouse accommodation, also cooperage and fitters shop.
The river frontage was about 2¾ acres with a 30 years unexpired lease. It was sold to James Anderson of Hylton for £7,000, carried on till 1915, under the name of Elliott & Brown.