The spelling and layout is as the original document.
South Hylton is an ecclesiastical parish, formed March 3. 1854 from the parish of Bishopwearmouth, and comprises the township of Ford and Grindon House, in the civil parish of Silksworth, and is bounded on the north by the river Wear and on the south by the road from Sunderland to Chester-le-Street, with a station on the Sunderland and Bishop Auckland section of the North Eastern railway, 3 miles west of Sunderland; it is in the Houghton-le-Spring division of the county of Durham, north division of Easington Ward, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Sunderland, rural deanery of Wearmouth and archdeaconry and diocese of Durham. The parish is lighted with gas by a company. The church of St. Mary, destroyed by fire March 9. 1878, was rebuilt in 1880, at a cost of £2,800, and consecrated June 21 of that year; it is an edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, north chapel and a turret containing one bell: there are 340 sittings. The register dates from the year 1820. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and held since 1900 by the Rev. William Marshall Teape M.A. of Edinburgh University and of St. John’s College, Cambridgeshire. Here are Wesleyans, Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels, Christian Lay church and Salvation Army hall. Mrs Scurfield, of Hurworth-on-Tees, is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 3,172.
FORD township, 2 miles west of Sunderland, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of South Hylton. The principal landowners are Mrs Scurfield, who is lady of the manor, and Mrs Pratt. Ford Hall, in this township, was the birthplace (April 5. 1795) of Major-General Sir Henry Havelock K.C.B. the renowned hero of Cawnpore and Lucknow in the Indian Mutiny of 1857, who died at Alumbagh, 25 November, in that year. Area, 1,028 acres of land and 28 of tidal water, and 21 of foreshore; rateable value, £29,143; the population in 1911 3,113.
Overseers, Anthony Gowens and John Jameson.
Assistant Overseer, Joseph Bentley, Union Street
Post, M. O. & T. & Telephone Call Office, High Street. Gertrude Gowens, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Sunderland at 7.20 a.m. & 1.10 & 7 p.m.; dispatched at 11.15 a.m. & 5 & 8.20 p.m.; sundays, delivery 7.55 a.m.; dispatch 5.20 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Station, 7.15 & 11 a.m. & 1, 4.45, 6.45 & 8.15 p.m.
Ford Works, 9.15 a.m. & 4.15 & 7.30 p.m.
Fire Brigade Station, in Cambria street, was erected in 1901, Robert Collinson, captain.
Police Station, Thomas Henry Oakley, sergeant. & 2 constables.
Public Elementary School (boys, girls & infants), built in 1877, at a cost of £4,000, enlarged in 1913 at a cost of about £2,500, for 264 boys, 264 girls & 218 infants; average attendance, 220 boys, 200 girls & 180 infants; T.D. Collingwood, master; Miss Emma A. Burleston , mistress; Miss Elizabeth Groves, infants’ mistress.
Hylton Railway Station, Robert Hall, station master.
Bagnall Charles L. – Ford Lodge
Brown, Miss – 11 Railway Terrace
Cornett John P. – Claxheugh grove.
Doxford Arthur, – Greenbank
Doxford William, – The Oaks
Gray Alexander – M.B.
Grimshaw Charles – Ford Cottage
Jameson John, – The Kraal
Jeffrey Thomas – The Hillside
Legat Andrew Eddowes – 9 Railway terrace
Milner Joseph – 5 Railway Terrace
Morgan Joseph – Tower House (letters should be addressed to Hylton road, Sunderland
Pratt Mrs – Field House
Teape Rev. William Marshall M.A. – (vicar) The Vicarage
Todd James – Sycamore Villa
Wigham John Rodham – Ford Villa
Early closing day, Wednesday
Armstrong John – Farmer
Atkinson Jn. – Wheatsheaf inn, High street
Bagnall R.S. & Sons Ltd – iron manufacturers, Hylton forge.
Broad Arthur. – Golden Lion inn, High street
Browell George, – farmer, Rock farm
Brown Colin – colliery plumber, 2 Cambria street
Brumby Thomas – fried fish dealer
Bryant Margaret (Mrs.) – shopkeeper, 1 Wear street
Carr George, – joiner, Church Street
Caven Geo. – hair dresser, 12 Church street
Charlton Christr – farmer, Ford farm
Chilton Thomas, – beer retailer
Chilton Thomas – grocer, Dawson terr.
Chilton William Edward – beer retlr. Alma street
Clowes John – greengrocer, 23 High St
Collins Septimus Anthony – hairdresser, 22 High street
Cornett James Porteous – paper works manager, Claxheugh grove
Davison William – plumber
Ford Paper Works Ltd – paper mfr
Forrest Mary Ann (Mrs.) – shopkeeper
Gibbon Helena (Mrs.) – shopkeeper, 4 Cambria street
Gowens Anthony – grocer, Post office, 3 High street
Gowens Emma Bartram (Mrs.) – draper, High street
Gray Alex. M.D. Ch.B.Edin. – physicn
Grieveson Mary (Mrs.) – greengrocer, 5 High street
Gunn Arthur – confr. Railway terrace
Henderson Thos. – shopkpr. 8 Blithe st
Hill William – shopkeeper, 31 High St
Horne James – translator
Hutchinson Nichols Willis – farmer, High Ford farm
Hylton Cement Co. – cement manufctrs
Jenkins Sl. A. – grocer, Ferry Boat row
Legat Andrew Eddowes L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S.Edin. Surgeon. – 9 Railway Terr
Lindley Edith (Miss) – milliner, Church street
Lucas Joseph Edward – shopkeeper, 7 Blithe street
McKenzie Isabella (Miss) – Jolly Potters P.H.
Marshall Arthur. – draper, 17 Railway Terr
Milner Joseph – butcher, 6 Dawson ter
Newell John – butcher
Orr Frederick – carter, Church street
Pattison Jn. Brack. – frmr. Page pastors
Picture Palace – (Hylton Picture Palace Co. proprietors)
Ransom John – Railway P.H.
Rayson Thos. Pearson – metal broker
Reay & Usher Ltd. – iron manufacturers, The Forge, Cambria street
Ritchen James – dairy
Ross Thomas Craig – ironmonger
Schofield George – tailor, Dawson Terr
Short George Wm. – butcher, High Street
Simpson Fred. – Victoria P.H.
South Hylton Fire Brigade – (Robert Collinson, captain). Cambria street
South Hylton Gas Light & Coke Co. Ltd. – (Fredk. A. Lindley, manager)
Sunderland Equitable Industrial Society Limited
Tate William Walter – shopkeeper
Taylor Alfred – shopkeeper
Thompson Andrew – farmer, Ferry farm
Todd James – contractor. Sycamore villa
Tugwood Ann (Mrs.) – shopkeeper, 17 Church street
Valente Joseph – shopkeeper
Wake William – beer retailer
Walker Thomas Rowntree – ironmonger, 10 High street
Wallace Robt. – Draper, 18 Dawson Terr
Weightman Edward – farmer, North Ford farm
Weightman Edward – farmer, South Ford farm
Wigham John & Son. – mechanical engineers, High street
Williams Mary (Mrs.) – confectioner, 19 Railway terrace
Willis Andrew – Commercial P.H.