Welcome to
  South Hylton Local History Society
War Memorial
The unveiling of the War Memorial on Saturday, August 16th, 1924 by Major J.R. Wigham who donated the site.

Mr G. Lawson, Chairman of the War Memorial Committee, presided over the ceremony.

The Rural Dean, the Reverend Wynne Willson dedicated the memorial “In the faith of Jesus Christ, and in abiding memory of the men of this parish who laid down their lives for us in the Great War, whether on land or on the sea or in the air.”

A minutes solemn silence was observed followed by the “Reveille” sounded on bugles, and the ceremony ended by the placing of wreathes on the base of the memorial from relatives and representative bodies in the village.
The Society acknowledges the co-operation it has received from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for allowing us to use information from their Debt of Honour Register and in making this section possible.


Please click on the boxes below to take you to the appropriate page